COMPUTER NETWORK MANAGEMENT
“The network is the computer” – prophetic words of the founders of Sun Microsystems.
Computer network administration is one of the specialisations of Support Online.
As an IT company established in 2002, we have qualified and experienced Cisco, Fortinet and Juniper engineers at our disposal. The majority of our specialists manage the customers’ computer networks and are in charge of maintaining the IT system operation continuity. We supervise the operation of several hundred network devices as part of the IT outsourcing service and all our computer network administrators perform in particular the following tasks:
- LAN and WAN configuration;
- network management / network administration;
- 24/7 network and server monitoring.
The end-to-end IT support offered by Support Online (end-to-end IT outsourcing) includes also IT assistance provided 24/7. Our first line support specialists are responsible for an efficient response to the occurring incidents.
What is a computer network?
To address the topic of computer network administration, it is worth beginning with answering the following questions:
- What is network management? What is the profile of a computer network administrator and what are the major duties?
- Why are the terms “IT network administration” and “telephone network administration” used?
- Can we imagine living without the Internet, without access to websites, without access to email, without access to social media? Or maybe living in business without access to such cloud services as MS Teams, OneDrive or SharePoint?
Nowadays almost every computer runs in a network. Without it, the device becomes a mere typewriter for most of us. So, what is a computer network?
IT nomenclature uses the following terms:
- LAN (Local Area Network) – which means computers connected by wire or wirelessly with other computers, servers, printers, scanners… Wired connections inserted in a switch, wireless connections are supported by an AP (access point) or multiple APs with a WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network) management module. The edge device is usually the router/firewall guarding the security of the LAN. It often features the functions of website filtering, anti-virus protection, IPS/IDS, and connects the LAN with the Internet.
- WANs – larger organisations need to connect multiple local area networks into a WAN (Wide Area Network). The Internet service provider (ISP) will offer an MPLS connection in such a case, unless a network engineer from the local IT department or the network management company connects the edge devices via VPN channels to combine all local area networks into a single structure. Users do not have to be physically present in the office to connect to the company network. It is sufficient that they have personal VPN connections configured to have access to company data and applications, which are often physically outside the office anyway, as a private cloud using e.g. dedicated servers. Even the telephone sector applies the IP network for voice transmission. VoIP (voice over internet protocol) has dominated the telephone market. Asterisk type VoIP servers have become a cost-effective and functional competition for large and expensive telephone exchanges. This is why the terms “IT network” and “telephone network” are often used synonymously, and an IT network administrator is also a telephone network administrator.
IT network security
Correctly configured network devices, e.g. switches (logical division of the network into VLANs, securing the switches from unauthorised connection of the computer to the network by applying access control lists or mandatory access control), enabling functions that secure the computer network on the router, IPS/IDS functions are fundaments of the company’s IT security.
Computer network management covers:
- Installation and configuration of routers (Cisco, Fortinet, Juniper), firewalls, switches, WiFi devices,
- Network administration and computer network maintenance, software update on network devices,
- 24/7 monitoring of the network and the local area network (LAN) devices,
- 24/7 monitoring of the network and the wide area network (WAN) devices,
- Analysis of network device logs and 24/7 response – event management.
Designing WANs, LANs and WLANs
Support Online not only manages the computer networks of its customers but also offers IT consulting services: designs and deploys LANs, WANs and WLANs. Our activities are based on premium-class network devices manufactured by Cisco, Fortinet or Juniper. We implement advanced IT solutions of these manufacturers to take care of the IT security of the companies we support.
Solution for small organisations
Enterprises require an IT environment that supports their business. Cloud solutions for business – private cloud is a perfect solution in terms of economy. You do not have to worry about purchasing a server, a router, switches, licences. The cloud service will provide hardware and software, and dedicated servers will ensure the appropriate computing power and drive storage space for the company data.
IT services for which Support Online will be responsible are:
- computer network management,
- network monitoring – network device monitoring,
- server management and care of backup copy,
- server administration,
- server monitoring,
- 24/7 helpdesk,
- backup and IT security management.
If you are interested in the computer network management service, do not hesitate to contact us by telephone or email. IT assistance provided by Support Online is a quality guarantee confirmed by our customers – you will find a few interesting references here.